Do you get as excited about Kauai’s dogs and cats as we do?? Take that passion and turn it into action by volunteering for the largest animal rescue and education organization on the island, Kauai Humane Society. Volunteer opportunities are incredibly inclusive, whether you are a resident on the island or a visitor looking to give back. Groups and community visits are welcome as well. So, if you are looking for an animal centered volunteer experience, Kauai Humane Society has many options for you!
Volunteer at the Shelter by:
- Socializing the Dogs – Every dog lover’s dream job, these pups need attention! Activities include grooming, bathing, exercise or just spreading the love!
- Entertaining a Feline – Just like the dogs, cats and kittens need that social time too. Whether you like to cat nap or play with frisky kittens, it’s up to you to make sure these kitties get the one on one time they deserve!
- Taking Pictures – Help animals get adopted by photographing them for the Kaua`i Humane Society Website and publicity materials. (this volunteer opportunity requires a weekly 2 hour commitment and at least 2 people present)
- Assisting at the Front Desk & Office – Help the adoption process run smoothly by assembling adoption folders, greeting visitors and assisting with filing.
- Helping in the Vaccine Clinic: If you have an interest in veterinary medicine the team in the vaccine clinic is looking for volunteers to help assist them on feline fix days, in the vaccine clinic and with the spay/neuter program.
Volunteer Opportunities out in the Community:
- Gomez’ Galley – get to know the island better, and help families keep their pets healthy by distributing pet food at various locations around the island.
- Humane Education Assistant – Be a helping hand at the ever-popular Critter Camps for school children or with the Opio Kokua program on Saturday afternoons.
- Special Events – Community outreach projects and events are a great way to advocate for animals, educate the public and raise awareness of the Kaua’i Humane Society’s Mission.
- Resale Shop Clerk – Come check out the Kauai Humane Society resale store in Lihue and help with customer service, cashiering, pricing and shelving merchandise.
- Introduce Dogs to Kauai – The Wags on Wheels team ( WOW ) introduce shelter dogs to potential adopters through community events island wide. Volunteers can also sign out dogs for trips to Petco and Natural Pet.
Odds n’ Ends Volunteer Opportunities:
Can’t make it into the shelter? Allergic to domestic pets? Check out these unique volunteer options!
- Save our Shearwaters – Assist with care for native Shearwaters, a local coastal nesting bird, including transportation as well as cleaning and feeding of birds during rehabilitation. Additional training will be required.
- Volunteer from Home – Volunteer opportunities are available for those who cannot come into the shelter such as: donation collections, outreach. Behavior helpline and adoption follow up calls.
- Volunteer with your own pet – After getting your own pet visitation certified, owners can schedule visits to long-term nursing facilities through the PALS program, or help encourage students to read and practice reading skills through the PAWS program.
All this information and more on pet adoption, fostering homeless animals and the Shelter Dog Field Trip Program, is available on the Kauai Humane Society Website. Happy Volunteering!
If you have a group of 5 or more visiting Kauai and would like a customized service package, please contact us!